THE STORY: 2008 is 215 years since the
birth of Chief Estanislao, and 170 years since his death. Stanislaus County was named for the Stanislaus River, which originally
was called the Laquisimas River. Estanislao was born along this river. The river was renamed in honor of Chief Estanislao
who led a band of Indians in a series of battles against Mexican troops until finally being defeated in 1829. Estanislao lived
and hid out at the confluence of the Stanislaus and San Joaquin Rivers until he and his band went to the Riverbank area. After
his defeat, he returned to the Mission San Jose in Fremont, California. Also, this is 100 years since the introduction of
the Quarter and the Half Indian Head Gold Eagles by the U.S. Mint.