THE STORY: In 1916 construction began to replace the old wooden wagon bridge that crossed the Tuolumne
River. This would be the only bridge built entirely of concrete. The new bridge was dedicated March 17, 1917, by breaking
a bottle of milk on the lion at the south end of the bridge. The reason behind using milk was that under a state option law,
Stanislaus County voted to go DRY. There was discussion of tearing down the old bridge, but historians rose to its defense
and in 1963 it was retrofitted and strengthened. The lions on both ends of the bridge, used from medieval times to guard public
buildings, were restored by volunteers.